Make your own, cost-effective and non-toxic all-purpose spray at home with the ingredients in your cupboard.
Have confidence that this cleaner will kill germs, cut grease & eliminate grossness. I've used this recipe in my home for over five years now, and it's the only all-purpose spray that I use to clean the house.
This recipe is perfect for the person who wants to:
- Save money;
- Be eco-friendly;
- Have a chemical-free home while still getting a quality clean;
- Have a non-toxic, safe environment for family, kids, and animals!
These 5 ingredients are gentle and safe on their own but they combine to make a mighty disinfectant that you can use for a multitude of purposes around the home. You can be confident that your space will be clean for whatever life brings your way.
I use it to clean EVERYTHING, like:
- countertops in the kitchen and bathroom
- the oven (leaves my stainless steel stovetop super shiny & cuts the grease & oil on the tile above the stove, too)
- the refrigerator, the walls, doorknobs
- the toilet seat and bathroom fixtures
- the cat box
- and more!
- 2 cups distilled water*
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure castile soap of any scent (can be found at Trader Joe's, health food stores, and some grocery stores)
- 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 20 drops organic tea tree oil (aka melaleuca oil. Always use tea tree regardless of the scent you use below - this adds to the disinfecting power of the vinegar and peroxide)
- 20 drops of 1 - 3 organic essential oils of your choice! (I love peppermint, lavender, tangerine, lemongrass, pine and more! Choose a different oil each time to mix it up or you can make different ones for different parts of the house.)
- Plastic spray bottle (32-ounce if possible, but recipe makes less)
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Fill your spray bottle with the water.
- Add vinegar, castile soap, hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil and essential oil of your choice.
- Close tightly, turn sprayer to "OFF" position, and give a few gentle shakes to mix together. Do this each time you use as separation is natural.
- Spray mixture on places you want to clean. Wipe immediately or let sit for 1 - 10 minutes, based on level of dirt or grime.
- This recipe is safe to use on acrylic, ceramic tile, wood, marble and granite surfaces.
- For a 32 oz bottle, you can multiply the recipe by 1.5. Adjust based on the size of your bottle.
- *Distilled water only if available - tap water works too.
- Keep spray bottle in the "Off" position when not in use.
- Consider using an essential oil for a specific purpose. For example, if you live in an area where bugs are a problem, you can add 10 drops of citronella essential oil to the spray to create an all-natural insect repellent. In winter months, you can use oils like pine, cedar, or rosemary to give a woodsy scent and in the summer months, you can use floral scents like lavender, rose, ylang ylang, and more.